Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Nursery Decor

Our nursery is ready and awaiting baby! I'll be the first to admit decorating does not come naturally to me. I had to rely on friends and Pinterest to keep me from totally ruining this room. It developed into a traveler/nautical theme.  I started with a color scheme more than anything and a budget. I kept it simple and hope to add pieces over time, including a rug eventually! I wish it had a decorators touch, but given my skill level it's good enough! (The paint on the wall is Benjamin Moore Bleeker Biege.)


  • Graco Stanton Crib: $150.00 (ours happened to include a free mattress)
  • Crib Sheet: The red one is a hand-me-down. I also have a blue one and a white one with blue ships ($14 Buy Buy Baby). My husband doesn't love the bold pop of red, it surprises me that I do!
  • National Geographic Map: $25.00. A map was the first thing we agreed we wanted in the room. My husband was debating map type (political, geographical, etc.), while I just cared about it having mostly neutral color tones. We saw this one in my dietician's office and both left the appointment only wanting to talk about "that map". We'd also both memorized the label on it and I found it on National Geographic's website later. You have to sign up as a member to browse and purchase, which is free.
  • Lazy Boy Recliner: Free. My dad's hand-me-down. We've had it for almost 5 years now and every time we move my husband wants to get rid of it! I think it's super comfy and have refused to let him! It reclines and rocks. Made it a little prettier with a $14.00 throw pillow from Marshall's. (Now that it'll be a rocking chair my husband loves it as much as I do, just didn't love how much space it took up in our living room)
  • Side Table/Nursing supplies station: $60.00 TJ Maxx Home Goods. I wanted a table I could store nursing supplies like burp clothes, creams, nursing covers, and low blood sugar snacks. I've been told lows are common after nursing and I don't want to have to get up to get something! I had all the drawers filled with baby stuff and a spot for "my" things. While giving my husband a tour of how I'd organized the room he looked at the side table and said, "What about me?". I felt awful and immediately cleaned out the bottom drawer for "dad" supplies. I don't know what that'll be, but he's right, whether he will be feeding our little one in that spot or just rocking baby and bonding he needs a place to keep his things too!!
  • Tug Boat Piggy Bank: $17.00 Petroglyph Ceramic Studio. I painted this while on a fun outing with my cousins and sister-in-law!
  • Nautical Themed Quotes: $24 and $10.00 on Amazon.com. I also got the frames on Amazon for $20.00 each. 
  • Lamps: $40.00 each from Lowe's.  
  • Dresser: $130.00 Amazon
  • Closet Organizer and Shelves: Bought these at Orchard Hardware Supply with a 20% off coupon and I think the total was around $100.00.
  • Map name letters: Each letter was $2.50 at Michael's, I used mod podge, and printed maps off the internet. I followed the model provided here: http://jaxdoesdesign.blogspot.com/2013/06/diy-maritime-map-letters.html
  • Changing table and changing pad: Handed down to me from a co-worker. We already had the baskets and received the changing pad cover off our registry. It is blue with anchors and probably way too nice for diaper changing! Love that it fits nicely in our spare bath! Between the fan, diaper genie, and a Scentsy we hope to minimize any unwanted odors.
  • Rock n' play bassinet was also a hand me down!
  • Globe: $15 TJ Maxx Home Goods
Entire nursery furniture and decor budget around $700.00!



No comments:

Post a Comment